One of our go-to stores for dirt cheap products is Dollar Tree. You can find just about everything there — party decorations, holiday decorations, glassware, cleaning supplies, food, etc.
There are some tips that you need to know when shopping at Dollar Tree. These tips will help you have a good shopping experience and save money at Dollar Tree.
All Dollar Tree stores are not the same.
Product inventory at each Dollar Tree can vary greatly. You need to keep this in mind when you are making your purchases especially if you are going to need multiples of the same item. If you need multiples of the same item, you need to check DollarTree.com. Items are sold in bulk on their website.
For example, our town has three Dollar Tree stores. Only one of the larger stores carries yarn but the colors and brand often vary. If I want to buy yarn to make a project, I have to go ahead and make sure I buy what I need to complete the project. There is no guarantee that the store will get the same products in again. Halloween items are another good example. If you need several black plastic kettles, you probably want to order them online at DollarTree.com.
Dollar Tree stores do sell name brand items.
You can find name brand products at Dollar Tree. The big tip here is to always check the expiration date on the package. Also, look the package over to make sure there are no dents or breaks in the package. Make sure the seal is not broken. If it is in a box, make sure the box is still intact.
Always check the size of the products.
Dollar Tree stores often carry the smaller size products. Check the ounces and size of the packages to make sure you are getting the best price per ounce for the product.
Shop for holiday products early.
Dollar Tree stores often put their holiday stock out well before the actual holiday. If you wait until close to the holiday, you may not find the best products. The stock gets picked over and you may not be able to find what you want.
You can use coupons at the Dollar Tree.
Not many people know that you can actually use coupons at Dollar Tree stores! Here’s a couple of things that you should know when trying to use coupons at Dollar Tree stores.
- Read and understand the Dollar Tree Coupon Policy before trying to use coupons at Dollar Tree. You can find a copy of the Dollar Tree Coupon Policy here.
- Print and keep a copy of the Dollar Tree coupon policy with you at the store when using coupons at Dollar Tree. The reason is because as any couponer can tell you the check clerks themselves may not know exactly what the coupon policy is at Dollar Tree. Actually I don’t just do this at Dollar Tree but I make sure I have a copy of the coupon policy for all the stores that I shop.
We want to highlight just a few things in the Dollar Tree Coupon Policy.
- Dollar Tree does not accept retail-specific coupons — Walmart, Target, etc.
- No photocopies of coupons, no altered or modified coupons are accepted.
- You can use one (1) Manufacturer Coupon per single item purchased.
- They accept coupons with values over a dollar but the coupon value will be reduced to the purchase price of the item.
- Only four (4) like coupons per household per day.
Dollar Tree receipts can be submitted to Ibotta!
We love this app and use it for our purchases. Ibotta is a free app that you download. It is very easy to use to get cash back on products you purchase. All you have to do is scan your receipt and the barcode of the items that you purchase. For more information about Ibotta or to sign up for your free account so that you can start saving, click here.
Shop online for party items.
You can save time and money by shopping for party items online. Online inventory has to be purchased in bulk but bulk does not always mean huge sets. Often it means sets of six or under.
Halloween is a time when you often need multiples of the same item for parties, trunk or treats, or treats to hand out at home. We recently wrote a post on 3 Ways to Save on Halloween where we talk about the low budget we have for Halloween and how shopping at DollarTree.com helps us save. Be sure to check it out!
These are all very simple tips but we wanted to post them to help you save time and money and to have a good shopping experience at Dollar Tree. We’d love to hear from you. What are some of your shopping tips for Dollar Tree?